Tuesday, April 27, 2010

relationships are what we make of them (keeping it real, again)

This blog entry on a photography blog that I follow mixed with my feelings lately on and about life got me to thinking, too much probably. I just haven't been able to get this post out of my mind, and really why do I have to? I loved it, it made me happy, made me sad, made me smile and made me cry all at the same time. I think it's because it's what we ALL want at the end of the day. Someone who loves up unconditionally and champions us at all times.

I also think that this is what makes the Twilight saga and other "chick flicks" and books so popular. We all want the perfect partner and romance. But while we love those things are we losing site of the bigger picture? Let me go into a few things that I think about...

courting and dating:These are things that we are really good at when a relationship is new, but then a lot of the times it stops of slows down. Why? Life I guess!! That doesn't make it OK! I believe that this is something that needs to always be done. You choose to be with this person and so you should always make them feel special. Keep up those little things and keep dating and courting them. It's the little things that make such a big difference sometimes. Flowers, texts, a fav food item on the way home, a call during the day, a card. This is so important in making someone feel special!!

appearances:This is a hard one for me personally. For those who have known me a long time you know that my skin has always been an issue. Here I am 32 and back on medication for acne. I mean really, is it ever gonna stop? This puts me into quite a depression some days, then the fact that my body isn't the size I want it to be, and really who's is...I know. But these are my issues at the moment. Truth is most days I don't wear makeup or do my hair any sort of cute style and heck, some days I don't even get a shower. That's reality! I stay home most days and that doesn't require me to look all glammed up! On the other hand, I do try and take pride in my appearance. I think it's so important that you continue to want to impress your partner and have them melt when they look at you. You want your kids to know that you care about yourself and that it's OK to do that. We can't get lazy and forget who we are and when our spouses tell us we look nice we HAVE to believe them even if we aren't feeling it at the moment.:)

praise:We know how important it is to praise our children daily, but do we also do the same for our spouse and friends?? I mean, I love to hear that someone thinks I'm doing a good job at something so why shouldn't I share the love. It's so easy and can give such a boost mentally to someone. I know I work hard at home and that my hubby works his tail off at work, but do I tell him often enough how proud and happy I am that he does it?? We need to make sure we are as quick with the compliments as most people are with the negativity most of the time! I think this could make a huge difference in a couples happiness.

This is getting way long and so I will stop here. I just know that a relationship of any kind takes a lot of work on BOTH sides, but is so worth it. I have a great one, but there is always room for improvement and I will always continue to try and do so. I make my own perfect romance and it's unique to only me. Life really is what you make of it and I want to make mine great!!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I left a comment...but blogger messed up and...I don't know what happened!

Anyhow...what you say is true.

...love isn't a physical thing after a while...but thank goodness for that because this 'older' 'broken in' kind of love is much better if you ask me!

I don't get dressed up or do my hair every day either...and Brandon doesn't even notice!

Jennifer said...

Oh! My other comment showed up! I feel dumb.

Michelle said...

I love your first comment Jen, those were my thoughts exactly!! :) Thanks for keeping it real girlfriend!!

Monty and Kristin said...

I miss the butterflies too!:)

I read a book once that said a woman should get dressed and feel pretty even if she isn't going to leave the house. Just for herself. I find that on days I dress up(meaning get out of pj's) I feel so much better. Than at least if I wanted to leave I could. Or like when my husband comes home he'll want to see me!:)

I agree...we tend to relax with the most important relationship there is...our spouse. Plus...I feel like guys work so hard to get us and then once they have us it's over. I've talked with my man about this very issue:)

Life is crazy. Love is crazy. I appreciate this post. you're keepin it real!

Letti said...

I agree with everything you wrote. I just get to comfortable and tend to give attention to the kids because they seem to need it at the time. Then when they are in bed or taken care of I am exhausted.

D and I don't get to go out as much as we like without the kids because child care can get expensive or they have a game or practice. We do try to go to lunch while the older kids are at school but teh younger ones are always with us.

The Rich's said...

AMEN SISTER!! loved your post..you rule.