Thursday, November 6, 2008

election time

Tuesday was election day and what a day it was. How exciting to live in a time where we would be watching history be made. On the Republican side you had John McCain and his pick of Sarah Palin for Vice President, which would make her the first female VP if they won.
mcCain and palin Pictures, Images and Photos
Then on the Democratic side you had Barack Obama who if picked would be the first African American President of the United States.
Obama Biden Pictures, Images and Photos
Well, Americans spoke and spoke very clearly. Obama will be the next President of the United States. I think in a time where the economy is so uncertain that people are desperate for change and feel as if he could be that someone to give it to them. I must admit that I am a bit worried because I think that he lacks much of the needed experience for this position. All I can hope is that he has some good advisers on his side. So as you can guess our family did not vote for our new President, but we will try to be supportive of our new leader.

The other BIG vote on this day here in California was on prop 8, which was the ban on gay marriage. If a yes vote was passed then this would amend the Constitution that marriage would ONLY be legal between a man and a woman and restore traditional marriage. I think we were more interested in this outcome than any others. We were happy to see that it DID pass, but also sad to see that this even had to be up for a vote and won by a not so big margin. At least this restored my hope in California a bit. I know that everyone has the right to choose who they want to be with, but I don't want my children growing up thinking that gay marriage is the norm when its clearly not. So the people of California have spoken (again) and hopefully this time it will be final!!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am so glad porp.8 passed. 102 passed also! That's something to be happy about huh!?

As for the next 4 years and what will happen after that...well really....unless Obama makes a terrible MESS...he'll most likely be our Pres. for 8 years...and all I can really say about that is that I can't think of a nice thing to say about him so I wont say anything at all!

Hope things are going good over in your neck of the woods!

Monty and Kristin said...

Great idea to document that! I need to do that too!

Alex said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.