Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Grandpa Part 2



Ok, so time for me (Dustin) to break down and do what I have been putting off for weeks. So because this is a private blog and we are going to make it into a journal I want to give the kids some things to read and remember about one of my biggest hero's. So to be very honest I didn't know my grandfather as well as I wish that I did. What I do remember about him was that he was a MAN!! I remember his temples flaring when he ate. I remember him yelling at Greg when Greg talked about Grandma Carole's house too much. I remember him sitting around the camp fire and talking with his sons and brothers about the plans for the deer hunt the following day. I remember hugs and handshakes and teary goodbyes in Monterey. I remember Grandpa singing. I remember an early morning at home seeing Grandma and Grandpa sleeping in the front of the house in the car when my father was called as Stake President. I remember being so happy that he was there to witness my patriarchal blessing. And then Grandpa had his stroke. I remember being faced with death and the loss of somebody that I was really close to for the first time in my life. I remember crying the day that I heard that he had his stroke. Thinking that his death was imminent. But a crazy thing happened. He didn't die. He lived. And he lived well!! He got happier. He had a few key phrases that he would always say "Very Good" and "Love you". I remember every birthday even though the stroke had taken away his speech he would still sing "Happy Birthday" and sometimes even get your name right. I remember him trying to talk and pointing to his head in frustration and saying "there" or "right there" or "in there". I remember the fear that I had of him as a child being totally wiped out in his later years as he allowed his softer side to come out. I remember him even being a strong elderly man, often carrying around his walker with him just for show. What a legacy he left behind. Two children, ten grandchildren, 12 great grandchildren and #13 on the way. Both of his sons, all 7 of the male grandsons and one granddaughter served missions to Brazil, Canada, Ireland, Minnesota, Central States, Switzerland, Peru, England, Argentina and Cory is currently serving in the Dominican Republic. Both of his sons and all 7 Grandsons are Eagle Scouts. The two granddaughters that did not serve missions were both married in the temple to two of the nicest hugest dudes you will ever meet!! He lived great, and he died great in the eyes of God and all those who loved him. I will miss him sorely. I know that he is in a better place now but I am so grateful for the gracious extension of life that God granted him for me and my wife and my kids to get to know him a little better. I love you Grandpa!!







5 comments:

Andy, Nikki, and Grant said...

Dustin, You have painted a beautiful picture of Grandpa. I am sure as your Children read this thay will see him the same way we do. Thank you for posting this. It brought a tear to my eye, but it also helped me to think of all of the love in our family. Thank you Dustin. Great Pictures Michelle. Love you guys.

Anonymous said...

That was so very sweet Dustin. What a sweet way to share your memories with your children.

Monty and Kristin said...

I enjoyed hearing your version of grandpa. yep...that was him. Thanks for writing this. I love the pictures and your feelings. Priceless.

Jennifer said...

I would have never guessed that your Grandpa was someone who once was feared! I don't remember meeting him until after his stroke...and the man I met was full of love. The Lord works in mysterious ways huh? Maybe having the stroke was what he needed to bgin out his softer side.

Take care~

Caitlin said...

Okay, really? I'm tearing up again. You should write more often Dustin, that was beautiful.