Friday, August 14, 2009

more pictures

So, if you know me then you know that I don't go hardly anywhere without a camera. I mean I even have one in my purse for goodness sake!!

So when we went to Utah for Grandpa Peterson's funeral of course I brought the camera along, but I just didn't realize how much of a priceless role it was going to play. You see, I wanted to take pictures of the funeral for pure selfish reasons. I wanted our family to have the memories to show our kids someday, but it became more than that. As I took my camera out at the grave site, I was SO nervous. I was so worried that someone was going to be irritated by me, but quite the opposite happened.

Family members began to tell me that they wanted copies of my pictures because either they forgot their cameras or they just couldn't handle the emotions of trying to capture the days images. This was going to be priceless to all of us, not just my little family. So as I started snapping images the emotions started filling my eyes. I then took a VERY deep breath and told myself that this was now a job. Somehow I just went into a work mode and pushed through ( I also think that dad's prayer from earlier in the day helped). To me this was more stressful than shooting a wedding in some ways. After all it was for my own family. :)

No fancy shooting on my part. I just put the camera on a fancy auto pilot mode (AV mode for you camera buffs) for the most part. I was happy and relieved with the outcome, but more than that I was so glad that I could do this for the family and that they trusted me to do so.

Here are some more of my favorite images from the day.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

You did a good job. I remember doing the same thing at my father in laws funeral. I didn't have my fancy camera then...but I just went into photographer mode as a way of staying busy...and I treasure those pictures. I don't think very many people think to take pictures of the grave site services. I did that for baby Kaiya's funeral. It's just one of those occasions that you wish weren't happening...and at the time you just want to get through it. But...it's also something that you can't go back and recreate after it's over and you regret not having pictures to help you remember it better.

ANYHOW! I am so glad you had your camera with you!

I need to try shooting in AV mode. I haven't done that in a LONG time!

Mammy said...

I just looked at the pictures and read the comments about Grandpa Peterson. They are wonderful. Thank you for sharing these things with us. All treasures. I love you.

Monty and Kristin said...

Thanks. Love them.