Wednesday, August 5, 2009

our anniversary weekend...part 2

During our time in San Diego for our anniversary I also got the chance for a very special photo shoot. This family was nice enough to attend our church fundraiser to help the youth go to camp. One of the items up for bid was a photo shoot with me and when they bought me I was jumping for joy inside and terrified at the same time.

For those of you who are long time followers of our blog then you may remember last year when we had a friend pass away after colliding with a train leaving her husband and two young girls behind. Well this is that family! If you don't know the story or need a reminder I urge you to click HERE and read my previous post about this. It hit me very hard and still hurts my heart.

I was so excited for the shoot because I couldn't wait to spend time with them and see how they were doing. I was terrified because I wanted the pictures to be as close to perfect as they could because they deserved nothing less and also worried about how I was going to hold it together emotionally. Thank goodness Dustin kept the kids occupied so I didn't have to worry about them too. :)

I had to rely on Mitch to pick the location because I didn't know the area. It's funny when you ask someone else to do this because all they think of is a pretty location. And yes, this location was beautiful, but it was also crowded, had really no shore, no boardwalk and the most crazy bright sun I have ever had to try and work with. So the shoot took longer than I expected since I was trying to wait for the sun to go down a bit more, but overall I am content with the results. And Props to my hubby for all his hard work that day also!! :)

At the end of our time together that day I asked if they had any other plans for the rest of the day. Mitch said that they were most likely going to bake a cake since it was Traci's birthday. Me and my BIG mouth I thought...just stab me in the heart!!! So I said goodbye and headed to my family to enjoy the rest of our weekend.

I was grateful to be able to put my kiddos to bed that night and am so grateful for my awesome hubby who is my best friend and am so grateful to know that we will be together as a family forever!!!


Thank you to all of you who left such kind comments on my photography blog when I posted the preview of this family. I have put all the images from this session on a private slideshow for the family, but wanted to share it with those who might be interested. If you would like to view them just vistit my website, click on clients (bottom right corner) and the password is beach.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a great shoot....that must have been hard for the dad too...taking a family picture without his wife in it...

I think you really did a great job!

Isn't the sun a terrible thing to have to work with when taking pictures!? You can't just move it to where you need it! But I love shoting outdoors and never see myself even trying to learn studio lighting.

Michelle said...

Your friend came to my mind right away when I saw the pictures. I thought it was that family. The pictures are great and I'm sure he love's them.

Michelle said...

Oh...and Happy Anniversary... :)

Beloved said...

Hi you! Thanks for sharing these photos and your thoughts. Reading your old post just shot straight to my heart. Mommas can cary such a heavy load at times but it is the love in their heart and their trust in Jesus that truly pulls them through. I am glad to see smiling faces and hope that the family can continue to do so:)

Caitlin said...

Hey! You're not supposed to make me tear up when I read your blog!!!

Beautiful pictures, beautiful story. And this will definitely be an anniversary you'll remember! Just goes to show the greatness of the photographer that you can work and create in less than ideal circumstances.