Monday, September 15, 2008

our camping adventure

This weekend we spent camping at Mission Bay in San Diego and what an adventure it was. Greg,Dustin's brother, his wife Veronica and their kids also went. I had been wanting to go camping on the beach for a few months now and Gina recommended the place that her and her family go every year...it couldn't have been any better. There was beach access, a store, a snack bar, beach toy rentals, a huge park for the kids, walking paths, pools, an arcade, crafts and the best part the showers. :) We only wish that the camp sites were a bit larger, cause we felt a bit cramped and are sure that our kids kept the neighbors up ALL night.

The first day we checked out all the things to do at the camp ground after setting up our camp. We let the kids play on the play ground which I think they could have done ALL day if we let them. We cooked some hot dogs and made some smores that night. Christian loved cooking over the fire, but wanted no part of the actual eating. Silly boy! Christian loved playing in the tent, but wanted no part of sleeping in it,Chloe either for that matter. The kids refused to go to bed and cried hysterically even my sweet non crying girl. Christian kept saying "home,home." So sad! We were so stressed and irritated at the situation that if Greg's car hadn't been blocking ours in we would have packed up the kids and left. Dustin decided to let them fall asleep in the car and then snuck them into the tent once they FINALLY fell asleep at 3 a.m. Then at 6 a.m. we woke up to an invasion of screaming crows, wish I were exaggerating. Dustin and I just looked at each other and bust into laughter, it was all we could do. He said "are you kidding me, this was not in the brochure." Classic,I will never forget that.

On the second day we went to the beach and the kids enjoyed playing in the sand and the water. The big kids enjoyed swimming and the diving platform. After the beach we headed to the pool and were pleased to find one was heated. Poor Chloe was so tired that she slept right through both water activities. That also meant that I didn't get to enjoy the water, but that's okay because that also meant no bathing suit for me. :) Then we got cleaned up a bit and headed to Old Town for some yummy Mexican food. The food was good and Dustin made it through a restaurant dinner with Christian without too many break downs. :) Then we looked around a bit and hit the candy store for some goodies. I don't have any pictures of this because I left my camera in the car. :( We all called it a night pretty early as we were pretty tired from the day and the night before. Things went a lot smoother this time and we all got a pretty good nights sleep.
Chloe's crazy camping hair
On our last day there we woke up and began to clean up. We headed out soon after and decided to drive around a bit. We checked out USD and WOW what a school it was...so beautiful. We headed home and decided to stop at the Air Field museum in Riverside so Christian could see the planes. He loved it until a BIG jet took off at the air field across the field. So funny!

We had a great time and are so glad that Greg and Veronica could come with us. The weather couldn't have been more perfect and the company was great. We are sure we will do it again and hopefully the family will want to join us again.

10 comments:

Greg and Shellie Lomenick said...

I'm so glad that you guys had such a fun time. I'm so jealous. We've been wanting to camp for so long, but hopefully soon we'll be able to go. Can you email me the website for that campground.

The Rich's said...

FUN TRIP!!!!! Vacations are fun for kids but so exhausting, i don't blame chloe a BIT for sleeping at the beach!The beach is relaxing anyways, even when you aren't tired! Glad you guys had fun, you all look great!

Monty and Kristin said...

Looks like a fun trip! I couldn't figure out what happened to you for a few days...until I remembered you were going camping! Looks totally fun! Yeah, my boys didn't car for the tent that much either, but I guess it wasn't as bad for us!! Glad you had a great time!!;) Love the pictures

Harshes said...

OK, that is totally wicked! Camping at the beach! Sweet! I love the pics of Christian on the playground and you holding Chloe in front of the fire (right?). You got a little family pic in there too!!! And, don't say anything about you in a swimsuit! You are a hot mama! The only this is, that now I totally want to go to the beach and I live in icky Dallas Texas!!! LOL

~gina lee said...

too fun.. thanks for sharing..
~g

Veronica Peterson said...

Michelle, I love the picture of you and Chloe together over the fire. I got a really good shoot of you with both of your kids. I'll email it to you.

Anonymous said...

looks like you had a blast!! i remember camping at lake alamo with Mallory when she was chloe's age...yeah...no sleep for us!!!!!

we need to live closer to each other so that we can take the kids on camping weekends together!! it only gets more fun as they get older! :)

Jennifer said...

I am SO glad you guys had a good time! That place looks awesome! We'll have to go there someday. That's my kind of camping!

I love the picture of you and Chloe by the fire!

Marci said...

We are so jealous! If only Erik hadn't had to go out of town. :(

Michelle said...

There is always next time Marci...and believe me I'm sure there WILL be a next time. The girls will love it for sure.